Tuesday, May 20, 2008

I did the right thing, right?

So friday was a whirlwind of a day. I had tons of personal errands to get done, tidy the condo, and get stuff for my friend Melanie's bridal shower (which was a hit, btw). In my travels I went to BJ's to get some bruschetta for the shower. As I am walking from the parking lot to the wholesale market I notice something green on the floor, as I get closer I notice it is a woman's wallet. I pick it up and immediately look at the ID to see if the owner is anywhere in sight. There were 2 women packing up a car in the parking lot, and the ID picture did not match either one of them. So I took the wallet into the store with me and headed straight for the customer service desk. The line was a mile long so I went over to the "supervisor" desk. I asked the woman behind the desk if they had a lost and found. She didn't really tell me yes or no, but said, how can I help you. I told her that I found this wallet in the parking lot and handed it to her. I was a little bit shocked when she didn't say thank you or anything for the fact that I turned it in. Another supervisor came over once I started walking away and the woman asked what that was all about. The original supervisor stated that someone found a wallet, she was said, "OMG, there are still good honest people in this world." Well at least someone responded.

I wonder if BJ's tried to contact the owner of the wallet, I didn't get her name, all I was able to get from the ID was that she was from Manchester, MA. Where the hell is that?! Oh well. I proceed to tell my boyfriend this story and he asked if there was money in the wallet and also if I took it. I told him, the thought didn't even cross my mind to look no less take. He said he probably would have taken the cash and turned in the rest of the wallet. What would you have done? I always think if I were the one that lost my wallet, I would be going mad looking for it and worrying someone is going to steal my identity and have a field day with my amex card.

The day gets better. Later that evening I go to Stop & Shop and head straight to the self checkout, as I only had 4 items. Before I begin scanning my items, I look down and notice that someone had left a $20 bill in the change slot. I take the bill out and place it on the register. I look around and no other customers are around. I actually contemplated this time pocketing the $20 bill. Then I realized, with my luck, this is some sort of police sting operation and I can get arrested for pety larceny since technically the money is property of the store. So I ring up my items, pay for them and pack them up. I flag down the cashier girl responsible for the self checkout registers and tell her someone left their change in the machine and hand her the $20. She informs me that people do that all the time and thanks me for being honest. I went home and played mega millions in the hopes of winning since I was finding money all around town that day. To my dismay, I did not win :( But I did the right thing turning in the wallet and money. Hopefully my "right thing to do" will some back to me someday.

What would you have done?

2 comments:

BlogdelaShazza said...

Wow Karen, That is really nice of you. I remember once I was in a Home Depot and was so excited to find a Dollar left in the self check out, but who misses a dollar?

That also reminded me when I just got my drivers license,I drove away from the mall with my purse on the roof of my car. I lost everything, including my life savings of $200. Two weeks later I got an envelope in the mail with only my license and cards. I wish the guy who found it was as nice as you. He stole my money and my beeper. :(

melanie said...

boooooooooo john!!! yay karen!!!

i think i told you this story, but i have been banking online forever...i worry all the time that someone is going to get my account info especially since our apartment was broken into...

anyway, a few years ago on two seperate occasions (within about tqwo months from each other) i noticed my checking account had had $4200 and $4400 added to it. needless to say, this was not my $$$. i immediately contacted my bank and told them, as much as i would like to think it was, the $ was not mine. they immediately thanked me and said they would take care of it right away.

knowing me and my luck, had i been the one out that $ it probably would have been a payment for school or something...